Wednesday, November 13, 2013

vapor

"Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; 
Vanity of vanities, all is vanity...
And there is nothing new under the sun." Eccl. 1:2, 9

This book of the Bible like Job is one of the most vexing and enjoyable ones to me. 
I never knew what to make of the reoccurrence of the word 'vanity'. The NLT translates it to "meaningless" whereas the NKJV and KJV translates it "vanity which my handy-dandy dictionary tells me means pride. When I first read the book I thought it was trying to say things of the earth is meaningless. But it always nagged at me so I looked up the original Greek word used in place of vanity and found it was "hebel" which means breeze or vapor or rather impermanent things.  Re-reading it now I believe Ecclesiastes to be a type of warning. That we have the free will to choose to chase after unsustainable things but it is disappointing. Rather I pray that God would so choose to open my ears, eyes, and mind to strive towards Him. To love Him unboundedly and others for through Him and his truth we shall receive eternal peace. He has made me realize that this world is not mine and that the material things of it are therefore not mine. Which is why chasing after them is a wasted effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment